Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Monday, December 28, 2009

CLIFFORD WINSTON-SALEM - Errol Milner Clifford was pure joy. He was born on March 8, 2006 and died in his parents' arms on Wednesday, Dec. 23, 2009. From his first breath, life was a physical struggle due to a chromosomal defect that caused Errol to have a major heart problem as well as other systemic health issues. Errol faced all these challenges with an incredible joie de vivre, as though he knew every day was a miraculous gift. Although severely limited by his disabilities and the suffering he endured through five open-heart surgeries and long hospitalizations, Errol found more joy in his short life than most of us find in decades. He was delighted by the simple pleasures most of us forget to enjoy: squealing in delight as his beloved brother, Owen jumped off the sofa, bursting into laughter as his grandmother sang him a song, and howling with joy as we approached the Children's Center every morning. Errol never learned to speak, but his first sign was for "love," and he loved more profoundly and openly than anyone we have ever known. He loved his brother, Owen best, and showered all of his family, his friends, and the spectacular teachers at the Children's Center with an affection so pure and true that all those who cared for him fell in love with him. His love widened to an entire community when a neighbor from Washington Park, Eddie Ingle, realized that Errol's family was struggling terribly under the weight of medical debts and organized a fundraiser called Seeds of Love for Errol. In the process of raising more than enough money to pay these debts, an extraordinary group of friends and neighbors came to see past Errol's disabilities and know his beautiful spirit. We would never have known Errol's fabulous personality if not for the heroic work of many brilliant, courageous and dedicated medical professionals. Dr. Susan Hunsinger and the entire staff at Advance Pediatrics have become like a second family. Dr. Mike Hines and Kari Crawford, many kind nurses including Jen Twito, Leslie Butcher, and Keyatta Lackey, and Dr. Mary Christiaanse of Baptist Hospital gave us the medical miracle of Errol's first three years. The staff at Duke Hospital did everything possible to save Errol in his last two months, and gave him the ultimate gift of a dignified and peaceful death. We especially thank Dr. Ira Cheifetz, who was a kind and compassionate guide in our darkest hour, as well as Dr. Ron Kanter, Dr. Kevin Hill, and all the nurses who cared so well for Errol in his last days, particularly Casey Saylor, Laura Gorsky, Rebecca Smith, Jane Claire, Lexi, Maggie, Ashley, Sue, RaeAnn, Janine, and many others. We thank the entire community of the Children's Center, in particular his teachers, Audrey Campbell, Paula Sladky, Anne Clayton, Tamara Levi, Susan Colbert, Karen Ranson, Jennifer Pegram, and Paula Gavlik. We are also especially thankful for the loving support of Mike Britt, Carol Kirby, LouAnn Spell and Julie Hanes. We will always be grateful for their belief that Errol's health, happiness, and intellectual development were worth their constant loving efforts. We thank our generous friends from Team Errol, who expanded our definition of family and carried us so that we could carry Errol through his last year. We have relied particularly on our great friends, Clare Fader, Brad Cokendolpher, Rick Mashburn, Ken Frazelle, Eddie Ingle, Katy O'Kennedy, Betsy Towns, Becky Brown, Becca Fuller, Bill Watkins, and Mary Haglund. We would also like to thank the staff of Camino Bakery for their compassionate friendship and for beautifully maintaining the family's business through many tragic and uncertain days, as well as Jonathan's colleagues at UNCSA for their limitless generosity and kindness. Finally, we thank Errol's aunts, uncles, and cousins, who loved Errol so well, and especially his grandparents, who helped us greatly with his care and loved him like he was their own son. In lieu of flowers, please send contributions to the Children's Center in Errol's honor.

27 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
March Madness Buff Bride said...

You said it best when you said that all those who cared for him fell in love with him. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to know him, love him, care for him and remember him always.

Kyle T. Webster said...

I fell in love with Errol after Clare showed us a small photograph of him. His joy is otherworldly and boundless. The world is richer for his many smiles.

With love,
The Websters

Marigene said...

Jonathan and Cary,

How much we have loved you and your child from afar, and certainly Owen as well - followed the blog pretty well, and are so grateful to you for sharing Errol with us in this way. In no measure can we ever say thank you properly except in our own lives to "pay it forward."

With much love,
Marigene

Anonymous said...

It's been a tough year for us, too, including medical costs for our own tough-as-nails son. We will, however, make a donation in Errol's honor to TCC and our local children's hospital. Like you, we are also blessed with tremendous support and hope gifts in Errol's honor will be given to those you are not so fortunate. Our prayers continue to be with your family.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful testimony of Errols life and the way it touched so many other people. You are still in my prayers and I have been staying updated on his blog. I plan to see you on Wednesday. I love you and have your family in my heart.

Rebecca Smith said...

What a beautiful life. He touched me with his amazing smile and loving gaze more than any words ever could.

Anonymous said...

i met your family only once and (through your blog) feel like i have known, and loved you forever. your words(through) this blog so eloquently moved me. i look forward to the memorial on wednesday and know that through this gathering healing will begin for many folks. please know that you are being continuously lifted up by so many.

The Verniers said...

Errol was like a ray of sunshine. His smile and joy could lighten up an room. We feel so fortunate to have known him and and all his family. Though we didn't get to spend that much time with all of you, we definetly consider all of you close friends. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Thank you Errol for lighting up our lives, you and your family have been and will continue to be an inspiration in our and many others' lives.

Ian Mayville said...

I am so sorry. I know Cary from RJR, and always admired her selflessness. I asked my wife why so much challenge would befit somebody so giving, and she said it was because God knew Cary could handle it.

With Sympathy,

Ian Mayville

zach said...

Jonathan, Cary, Owen,
Thanks so much for allowing us to peek in and follow along this incredibly emotional journey. Errol will never be forgotten.
-Zach and Becca

Unknown said...

Although I never met Errol, I grieve deeply.

The celebration of his life through this blog lightened my spirit every time I visited. I have learned much from Errol about finding joy in simple things. And I've been shown the purest love that can exist in a family.

Cary, Jonathan, and Owen, my thoughts are with you now and always.

Love,
Amelia Rosenberg Stewart

antonina.whaples said...

The Milner family is in my prayers

Antonina J Whaples

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry about what happened. I have the family in my prayers.
-Rafael-

Rachel H said...

Peace, love, and prayers sent your way.
Rachel H

Rise children rise said...

Today was hard, and as the family leaves, and as the friends turn on their engines to go back to their lonely cars, to return to their lonely homes, it is even harder. I need the support right now. And, Cary, and Jonathan, I imagine you guys need it as well. So, I am not going anywhere for a few days now.

Rise children rise said...

I simply cannot get beyond this day, where we celebrated the life of Errol. I am tired, and yet, as much as Errol brought us together as community, I once again have fallen back into wondering about the tension between solitude and community. I see, in our country, a total depravity of community. I have never experienced a less "connected" place than the United States. And I think that is truly captured by today, when my relatives flew in from Boston, Florida, and Tarboro, NC just to bless a little boy. In this time, in this season of Epiphany, My prayer is that I will be willing to allow the commuinty around me to support me and nurture me just as I have supported and nurtured Jonathan, Cary, and Owen on this day. It came to me in a flash once, when I was a pastor doing mission work. Community is like the scaffolding and unseen architecture of a great cathedral. Without the underneath architecture, the structure cannot hold in place. Without friends, without family, and without the "other," I literally cannot and should not function. I think Errol revealed a deep longing within my heart, and the heart of the community in Winston, to be deeply connected to something infinitely larger than the spheres we inhabit. Imagine.

Anonymous said...

It was a priviledge to know Errol. I am so sorry. Grieving for you.
Adam and Jitka Helmus

3 for girls said...

Dear Cary,
I only recently learned about Errol's story from Andrea F., but I was immediately captivated by his extraordinary spirit. I wanted to extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family..sending you loving thoughts and prayers.
Most Sincerely,
Mary Margaret (Leverton) Park

Anonymous said...

Though I have never met Errol, I have met your family and through reading this blog, Errol's smile has lightened many a day. My thoughts are with your family and Errol will be missed by many.
GSW 09 student

Marigene said...

Jonathan and Cary - Had some books sent to the house for Owen. Should arrive Tuesday. Forgot to put who they were from. Hope they bless.

Peace, Marigene

Anonymous said...

Errol's smile melted my heart when I found this blog a few months ago. As a mother who lost a young son this year I wish you peace. Your family will be in our thoughts and Errol's smile will remain in our hearts.

Emily-Sarah said...

Thank you for sharing your precious son and also yourselves through this forum. I am so very sorry for your loss. What a beautiful boy and spirit! Just reading through your blog I'm sobbing, and I have no true idea of how deep the grief and void feel of losing a child. But I do know that whenever we lose anyone we love, that the LOVE doesn't stop, and so I pray that you all will find sweet and wonderful and positive ways to incorporate that love into your life going forward. And I pray for that biblical peace for you.

Also, your comment about community is so very true. We have lost so much of that "innate" framework, foolishly thinking that we are more connected technologically. We keep our heads down, texting someone in our own orbit while we walk along the sidewalk, bumping into someone in real-time (and frowning over the collision). But thankfully, almost all of us do still have community, to varying degrees, and definitely allow your community to support and lift you up right now.

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
I wanted to tell you how beautiful Erroll's service was. Hearing how deeply Erroll touched lives was a comfort to me. Thank you for letting me be a part of his short life. I hope you received the Brenners because we care packet I set with the guest books at the service. Know that I will be in touch over the next year to help with anything I can. You are in my heart and prayers.

Love Jen Twito

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to let you know how beautiful Erroll's service was. How fitting to share stories of the many different people little Erroll touched in his short life. Thank you for letting me be a part of his journey. He touched my family in a way we won't forget. I hope you received the Brenner's Because we care packet I set with the guest books as I left the service. Know that I will be in touch with you regularly over the next year or so to help in whatever way I can. You have our hearts and prayers.

Love Jen Twito and Jackson

Trudy and Dan said...

We are the lesser for never having met Errol. But we fell in love with you when we met at Nancy's house during the inauguration. And when we fell in love with you, we also fell in love with Errol and the obvious joy that he brought to so many. Blessings to you both and to Owen. We hold you in our hearts. Trudy and Dan

Pollo said...

I just came across this blog by chance, and let me just tell you that this little man keeps raising smiles and tears years after, and to complete strangers.
What an amazing soul. Thanks for sharing and celebrating his life.
He is an angel now.
All my love to little Errol and his family.