Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Friday, September 07, 2007

Kisses


I got a huge shock the other day. Our dog, Sissy, likes to lick Errol (who wouldn’t?), so it’s not unusual to put Errol down to get a paper towel to clean him up, come back a minute later, and find Sissy licking Errol’s face (she’s an environmentalist, it saves trees). The other day, I fed Errol, put him down on my bed, and ran of to the kitchen for a towel. No sooner had I gotten to the kitchen than I heard a high pitched squeal and raced back to protect Errol from Sissy, I looked in horror as I could see Sissy crouching over Errol, biting at the swollen tongue coming from his mouth. Poor Errol, I thought. As I lunged to pull my former dog off poor innocent Errol, I realized that he wasn’t so innocent. There was, in deed, a tongue in Errol’s mouth, but it wasn’t his. The tongue belonged to Sissy. She had gone a bit too far in search of food, Errol had clamped down on her tongue, and wasn’t about to let go. Sissy was writing in pain, and she reared back trying to extricate her poor tongue from Errol’s razor sharp teeth. But Errol loved Sissy’s shrieks, and grinned, but held his grip. He was not about to let this tongue go. I don’t know if Sissy will ever talk again. You would think Sissy would have learned her lesson, but tonight, she was at it again, licking Errol clean. As for Errol, he’s smiling, just waiting for his next big chance.

No comments: