Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Monday, September 10, 2007

First Words


Errol is on his way. Today he passed through a huge hurdle. He said his first word. “Hi!” and he is as proud as I am. It’s easy to hear things you want to hear, but I think anyone would have understood Errol’s “hi!” I’m trying not to get too carried away (I’m floating on air), but spoken language will dramatically open Errol’s life.

We’ve all been working hard with Errol’s language. He gets constant help from his speech therapist, his teachers, both his parents, his brother, and the many, many people that hold him and talk to him. Everyone wants him to do well, and I can’t help but think that Errol knows and feels that.

I’ve been working hard to get Errol to talk, mostly by imitating Errol. I’ll call it imitation therapy. Every time Errol squeaks, I squeak. Every time Errol hoots, I hoot. I repeat everything he says as closely as I can, and the more I repeat, the more he talks. I think that Errol feels like we are having a conversation, and we are. After a while of repeating Errol’s words, I start to talk in my own short words, mostly salutations (Errol is probably one of the most greeted children in the history of the world), “hi” I say, in a high pitch, then “hi” down to a middle range, then deep down to “hi” in a big bass, then back up to a high, “hi”, always trying to find a pitch he likes and can repeat. I think one of the most important things we can do for Errol is to treat him like us, and to act like him; which is a hard balance, but one that seems to be working. Of course, you never know why something works, and it’s been lots of me squawking like a fool (what must the neighbors think?), and wondering if it was going to work, for months on end, but today, I think, we hit the jackpot.

We’ve entered a world that I wasn’t sure we would ever know. We are thrilled, and so is Errol. Errol’s life is like a book, and every achievement (crawling, talking, eating solid food, water skiing) is a new chapter. For so long it seemed like his would be a very short story, but now the words just keep flowing!

5 comments:

Becky Brown said...

"Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and out of all whooping!" --Shakespeare always had the right words!

Yea!

BB

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Errol!

GL said...

I just found your blog. I am the father of a daughter (22-months-old) who has RTS. She was diagnosed a year ago. We have three other children, two older than our daughter with RTS and one younger (a lot younger, he or she is still growing inside mom and is due to be born in February).

Congratulations on your son speaking. My daughter babbles, but does not yet speak. She is, however, learning sign language and knows perhaps 1/2 dozen signs.

Rosalind said...

becky stole my quote! Willie sure had a way with words.

YOU GO ERROL! how's that for a poor imitation of the bard??

Next time I see you at Owen's school I'll see if I can hear your new word!

Roz Tedford

Becky Brown said...

Well, actually the quote is
"O wonderful, wonderful, most wonderful wonderful, and yet
again wonderful, and after that, out of all whooping!"

It's from AS YOU LIKE IT.

I wish I had looked it up before I sent that first one. Shakespeare and Errol and words and you, Jonathan--all cause for celebration.