Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Sunday, February 11, 2007

Worried Sick


Earl's got Pneumonia. It's what caused him to turn blue at school (it scared the Bejesus out of the school staff), and get rushed to the hospital. It's not good that he's got pneumonia, but for me, it's always best to know what you are dealing with (not knowing is my least favorite state). Now that he's been diagnosed, Errol's on a zillion medicines: a round of antibiotic shots, oral antibiotics, anti-reflux medicine, probiotics, aspirin, and a nebulizer (I hadn't heard of that one either). A nebulizer is a machine that vaporizes steroids and then shoots them through a mask and straight at innocent little Errol - poor boy. To add insult to injury, the machine is disguised as a penguin (like Errol cares, knows what a penguin is, or can even see that far). I think I'd find it a bit disconcerting to have a tube attached to a penguin midsection which shot a fiery steam towards my mouth. That's supposed to be comforting? When Errol grows up and has a penguin phobia, I'll know who to blame.
With all the medicines in our house, Cary and I feel like chemists. This week alone, Errol's been to the doctor five times (a shot in each thigh each visit), the hospital twice (X-rays and the jolt of the ED), and the pharmacy (no shots or steaming penguins). Poor Little Man, and poor mama, who has had him home from school for a week and a half (and there's more to come). We thought we were going to take Errol to the hospital today (102 degree fever, nausea, tears), but Errol rallied and is sleeping peacefully right now. I drove past the hospital with Owen this morning and my heart sank (so did Owen's). But, at least we aren't there (yet). We keep saying things are going to get better (and it really does), but the fact that we keep saying it means that things aren't right. Still, we are counting our blessings at home tonight and dreaming of penguins, grateful to have two beautiful boys, and hoping that things will continue to get better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Day by day we all attend our tests, life exams. Sometimes we are wondering if we get too many difficult questions, tasks. Life sometimes seems to be awful road with unpredictable paths, lot of crossroads.

Sometimes we all are like spoiled kids, thinking we have problems with our cars, computers, hifi's, cellphones, parking tickets, traffic jams .... Problems?

Many years ago I broke my leg skiing. Open break. I had almost half year to think about one doctor's sentence: problems usually come fast, and leave slow. Of course - broken leg - less than second, rehabilitation few months.

Did I think that nothing can happen to me during skiing? Yes.

Was I sure I am a good in skiing? Yes.

Was I (even) a little bit arrogant? Yes.

Fortunately, I have a chance.

I sincerely believe, hope, that Errol will have good future, and month by month this blog's posts will fade out, will become far history for him.

I hope that Errol will go skiing. But, I'll tell him to be careful, not to redo my mistakes!

Errol, Be Strong!

Anonymous said...

Dear Erroll,

Your cousin, Lennon, had to use a nebulizer when he was small. Those things can be so strange, can't they? He had no penguin to make him laugh (at the age of 7), and I'll bet you cannot relate to that penguin. I agree with your daddy, we'll know who to blame when you have either a penguin adoration or phobia (just kidding). It really helped him breathe better, though, so we stuck it out. Hang in there, buddy!

So your mom and dad are chemists for you, huh? They must be really smart. It's a lot to keep up with, all those measurements and medicines and folderol. When your cousin, Natalya, was a baby (and until she was about 6, I guess) her daddy and I measured her special formula so she could get enough calories. We had to write down all sorts of things to keep up with what she was doing.

At the beginning, we told ourselves that things would get better, and sure enough they did. But it took us some time to learn to go with the flow - it was hard at first, but we found out that we could have lots of fun in the middle of the worry and stress. Simple things like being overjoyed at the sunshine coming in the window, or watching "the leaves dancing just for Natalya" really made our day. Oh, let's not forget "The Magic City" which we could see right across the street! And "The Magic Forest" which was just in our backyard. Wow! That was some fun!

I hope your day is just plain silly! Tell your big brother, Owen, hello, won't you?

We love you and your family,
Marigene