Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Sunday, February 18, 2007

Love to Love


For Christmas, my wife made me a beautiful book called Daddy Loves Owen. It’s a story in photographs of all the fun things Owen and I do together: pony rides, canoeing, running on the beach, robbing liquor stores, tickling, playing (ok, we didn’t really rob any liquor stores. Yet). Things I might not (probably won’t) do with Errol (not, at least, in the same way). It makes me sad to think of all the things that Errol and I won’t have together. Especially when I know how wonderfully fun life can be with Mr. Owen. Still, I’m lucky to have what I have with Owen, we’re fortunate just to have Errol alive, and there’s no telling the fun Errol and I may have together. Besides, we have a great time now; cooing, tickling, singing, laughing, smiling. I hold Errol up near to my face, turn my head away from him, then snap my head back around so that my face is inches away from his, and give him my biggest grin. It dawns on him slowly, then he sees the game. His beautiful face fills with a huge rapturous grin as he chuckles a tiny belly laugh. We do this over and over again, and time stops. It’s best not to compare too much, but just enjoy the wonderful moments we are so lucky to have.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Erroll,

You look so much like your cousin, Paul Root, when he was a baby!! You have definitely got that Banks blood in your veins. You are adorable, as is your brother, Owen. I hope to get to see you and your family one of these days.

Have a good laugh today, okay?

Love,
Your cousin, Marigene (Banks Haas)

Anonymous said...

My name is Bridget Morck, and I got the link through an email to the RTS listserv - which I am on...Kief died on October 10, 2005, but - throughout his life, he was the joy of ours! He had RTS - but there was very little that he wouldn't/couldn't do when it came to having "family fun". He rode horses, fished, swam, went boating, played tee-ball - just any number of things!
There will be many things that you and the rest of the family will be doing with Errol.........And - best of all - you will always have that SMILE!

Anonymous said...

"His beautiful face fills with a huge rapturous grin as he chuckles a little belly laugh."
Pure, unadulterated joy... Yes, that is what it is. I can picture the look on Errol's face... It's the same look that Corey still gets today, at eighteen, when something tickles him. It starts with a smile and continues until it engulfs his entire body and radiates out with a joyous belly laugh.

Anonymous said...

Erroll, you are an incredible addition to the human race. We need more people with your unwavering attitude and smile for love and live. Your parents and big brother are equally fabulous. Kudos to your dad for finding a way to document your stupendous uniqueness. You make me want to be a better person and to enjoy and honor all the moments of everyday life. You go kid!