Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Sunday, February 11, 2007

A Mouse in the House


There's RTS mice running around. I bet they're happy. In recent research with these mice (they really do have Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome) scientists have been able to reverse some of the mouse RTS symptoms. I try to stay realistic, but of course you can't help but being optimistic about this sorts of news. There is research that has shown these disabled mice (do they get handicapped mouse parking stickers?) gaining memory function with drug therapy. Could Errol get a mental boost one day? Could he grow taller (the average RTS kid is about five feet tall)? Could he be "typical"? Would we want this beautiful baby boy to change?

I often think that it's best not to even speculate (a sign of dissatisfaction with the way things are) and to accept Errol for who he is and enjoy that beautiful person. Still, sometimes it's nice not to know what the future holds.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jonathan and Cary,

Perhaps you can live with the seeming opposites of loving your angel just as he is, as well as wanting any improvements in his health as they come along. I do think accepting what is, is important. At the same time, you can root for the mice too.

I did not do very well accepting what was when Natalya was small, at least not at first. It took me a lot longer than it is taking you.
I think one focuses on the incredible joy and blessings of what one has, in the midst of challenge. Seeing the cup as half-full, not half-empty sort of thing.

You are all such a blessing to all of your family, and you always have been.

Take care.

Love,
Marigene

Anonymous said...

Ah yes,the $400,000.00 question... As the parent of an eighteen year old with RTS, I've pondered this off and on over the past couple of years and while I have dared to speculate I keep returning to where I started.
On any given day Corey provides me with the answers that I need...
"I'm BIG now, Mom." (All 4' 11" of him.), "I AM a smart one!", "I'm a HAAANDSOME guy." When I ask, "Who loves you buddy?" he's always quick to reply, "You do!"
Confidant he is, with no desire to be anybody else. There is my answer...
No doubt Errol will also give you the answers to your questions as he grows.