Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Saturday, September 26, 2009

Goodness Gracious



The waitress where I took the boys to breakfast is usually pretty fussy, but today she was transformed.

“I’ve been reading about you in the paper.” She beamed.

“I hope your dinner went well.”

I smiled.

She looked at Errol, nodded her head and smiled.

“It’s good to know there are people out there doing good.”

Indeed!

One day I noticed a woman in the supermarket who had lost her hair. After that, everywhere I went I kept sighting bald women, one after another. Of course, there weren’t any more bald women around than before, they had just gotten onto my radar.

When Errol was first diagnosed as being developmentally delayed, I began to think that every other kid I saw had one syndrome or another. “Honey!” I would whisper excitedly to Cary, “I think that kid on the bench has Down syndrome.”

“No, sweetheart, that’s Jimmy, he doesn’t have Down syndrome.” But I thought so much about Errol’s (still mysterious) syndrome, that I couldn’t get it out of my head.

True story: my brother-in-law’s band was playing a concert, wrapping up a long tour with another band. As a departing gift, the other band paid a midget stripper (yes there are midget strippers) one hundred US dollars to creep up on stage, and as my brother-in-law sang an especially heartfelt ballad, strip.

OK, so that stripper story doesn't really support my theory, but still, you've got to admit, it's a good story. Now back to the theory about seeing what you look for.

Like the nice waitress said, there are lots of good people, and thanks to Seeds of Love, I see them everywhere.

2 comments:

Allison the Meep said...

I vote for a midget stripper as entertainment at Errol's 4th birthday party.

Paula G said...

I am coming to see that .... I used to have a really good friend who was a midget.. I don't think he strippes though ...hmmm wouldn't have wanted to see that. Now back to the baldheaded women ... I have never really thought that baldheaded guys were attractive ...but I am engaged to one ...and now I see alot of them and think hmmm.. he's cute...However not as cute as my little man Errol....
Love, Ms Paula