Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Friday, January 08, 2010

The Darkling Thrush

by Thomas Hardy

I leant upon a coppice gate
When Frost was spectre-gray,
And Winter's dregs made desolate
The weakening eye of day.
The tangled bine-stems scored the sky
Like strings of broken lyres,
And all mankind that haunted nigh
Had sought their household fires.

The land's sharp features seemed to be
The Century's corpse outleant,
His crypt the cloudy canopy,
The wind his death-lament.
The ancient pulse of germ and birth
Was shrunken hard and dry,
And every spirit upon earth
Seemed fervourless as I.

At once a voice arose among
The bleak twigs overhead
In a full-hearted evensong
Of joy illimited;
An aged thrush, frail, gaunt, and small,
In blast-beruffled plume,
Had chosen thus to fling his soul
Upon the growing gloom.

So little cause for carolings
Of such ecstatic sound
Was written on terrestrial things
Afar or nigh around,
That I could think there trembled through
His happy good-night air
Some blessed Hope, whereof he knew
And I was unaware.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cary,
It was so good to see you today at the CC. Please know that you, Jonathan and Owen are welcome in our classroom anytime. The door is always open! Love to all!

Ms.Jennifer

Rise children rise said...

Jonathan and Cary,

I love this poem. The hope that is mentioned at the end of this poem is a hope that I believe Errol knew something about. I wonder if that is why you put it in. I love the words. I love the lyrics.

Here is another.

My Own Heart Let Me More Have Pity On
by Gerard Manley Hopkins

My own heart let me more have pity on; let
Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
Charitable; not live this tormented mind
With this tormented mind tormenting yet.

I cast for comfort I can no more get
By groping round my comfortless, than blind
Eyes in their dark can day or thirst can find
Thirst's all-in-all in all a world of wet.

Soul, self; come, poor Jackself, I do advise
You, jaded, let be; call off thoughts awhile
Elsewhere; leave comfort root-room; let joy size

At God knows when to God knows what; whose smile's
not wrung, see you; unforeseen times rather - as skies
Betweenpie mountains - lights a lovely mile.

Peter

andrea said...

I spied a blooming apple blossom. The wind chill was -10.

You continue to be in my thoughts and heart daily.

~with cold toes and warm hands I send love down the mountain.

andrea

Marigene said...

Jonathan and Cary,

When nothing else gives me peace, the birds singing does. Often, it is all that does. Fills the cracks in my heart with balm, and I can carry on. Blessings to you both as you enter each day, and hope is sent to caress you in spirit.

Peace and Love,
Marigene

Laura Salmons said...

Jonathan and Cary: I am so sorry for your loss. I went to RJR a few years before you guys, but didn't know you. The strength and sense of community that shines through your blog about Errol is a beauty the rest of us were blessed to be a part of. Thank you, and thank you to Errol.

My brother, John, was at the Children's Center in the early 70s, and my memories of the teachers and students there still color my perspective on so many things. My brother brings much to the world, but his simple presence, his public face, gives us all the chance to make a choice as to how we'll view people with disabilities, how we'll act with them, how much we're willing to do to make sure they are part of our world, not an other, not an afterthought. I wish I'd had the chance to meet your beautiful son. Best of luck to you as you weather this difficult time as a family and thank you again for allowing me a glimpse into your life.
Laura Salmons