Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Friday, March 20, 2009

Space




I’ve read that when some people lack a sense (sight, hearing) their other senses become more acute: the highly sensitive hearing of blind people. Sometimes we compensate for things we lack. Sometimes what we lack defines what we have. Sometimes I write things that don’t make any sense.

This afternoon, Errol visited his accupressurist, Sarah Girard. (We should all be so lucky to have a healer like Sarah in our lives). I sat and watched Errol as Sarah worked silently on Errol’s sweet little body. As is often the case at Sarah’s, the room radiated with energy; flowing between Sarah and Errol, and throughout the space. I felt mesmerized, entranced, completely still. I passed gas.

Well I didn’t really pass gas, but there was something very big happening in that room. Something my senses could feel, but my brain couldn’t quantify (sort of like tofu).

My brain is very busy. I’ve got two kids, one wife (which is a lot easier than two wives and one kid, I’ve heard), a full time job, this damn blog to write, and a crazy as hell Australian Shepherd (that’s a dog, not a person – and you can have her if you want. Just call 624-1869. She’s yours) As I was saying, my brain is really full. See. It’s nice to have a busy brain. It’s nice to think. (Although if you couldn’t think, you wouldn’t know it!). But it’s also wonderful to taste rich dark chocolate, to sit out in the sun on the vernal equinox (today!), to hear John Coltrane. Kissing is good, too.

We humans really like our brains, and there’s a lot to like, but my goodness, it’s good just to sit sometimes. And the feeling I had while I sat with Errol, feeling the energy (whatever the hell that is) wash through the room, listening to Errol’s happy noises, feeling great love, just sitting and inhabiting that space. It was beautiful.

Errol lives in that space.

If we’d just take the time, we could learn a lot from him.

1 comment:

Betsy Towns said...

jonathan! you and your family are the very best. the cat's meow. I love learning from Errol, Owen, Cary, and you. now. let's sit down and figure out a camp calendar for owend and romand for the summer.