Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Monday, June 04, 2007

High Five


I’ve been a teacher for over a decade, but I’m only now really beginning to understand the mechanics of learning. It comes from watching Errol learn in slow motion. I’ve recently begun an important pedagogical project teaching Errol one of life’s most essential skills: the art of the high five. I lay Errol down on the bed, put my hand about half a foot above him, and say, “High five, Errol. High five!” Whereupon Errol breaks into a gigantic full body grin. “High five, Errol” I repeat, and he clasps his stubby little hands to his mouth in delight, “wheeeeeeeee!” We both start to smile and I raise my hand above him higher, palm down. “Wheeeeeeeee!” He says, and I respond, “High five, Errol!” Sometimes, not every time, but most of the time, Errol will extend his fist towards me and I will reach down and give it a little slap. As soon as we make contact, I congratulate him with a resounding “Yeah, Errol!” and a big kiss. We repeat this over and over again until we are both satisfied with each other’s progress. This all may seem like a useless exercise, but the gears in his sweet little head are grinding, and (I hope) we are laying the foundation for more important skills (like making gang signs with our fingers), but if not, hey, we’re having a great time. High five!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your blog is pure poetry. Beautiful photos too.
Thank You
Clare