Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Asking questions


On a walk today, a young neighbor approached me. She was nervous, and I could tell that there was something heavy on her mind. We had never talked about Errol before, she had learned about his condition, and wanted to know more about him. It’s a hard conversation to start, and there really isn’t a tactful way to begin. The only thing to do is to just ask - which is what she did (with kindness and sympathy). I told her Errol’s whole story: the heart, the brain. It sounded a little like Dorothy’s friends in The Wizard of Oz (except that Errol has no shortage of courage). I don’t always ask the right questions, or know quite what to say, but as far as I’m concerned, it's nice to be asked, and I am always grateful to connect, illuminate, brag. Dialogue leads to understanding. Silence separates. Errol rocks!

Still, a word of caution about questions. My sister in law was 8 months pregnant, and quite obviously with child. People would come up to her in the grocery store and ask her when she was due, and with a straight face, she would say. "What do you mean? Due?" They would run. RUN! I would. On the other hand, one time, someone I know asked a woman who looked about seven moths pregnant when she was due. "Five years ago!" Spat the angry woman. One does have to be careful with questions, but still, don't hesitate to ask about Errol. I'll give you a good answer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog as a result of the ‘Google – Alert’ I set for Rubinstein-Taybi.
My daughter Louise was diagnosed at birth with this same syndromme 24 years ago. (Sometimes it is very hard to believe it was that long ago but my graying hair confirms the passage of time.)
Back in 1997 I wrote a little bit about the journey we have traveled for the ‘Our Pages’ section of the RTS site http://www.rubinstein-taybi.org/our/Louise/index.html
I keep meaning to send in an update but somehow it never seems to happen.
Many incidental things have changed since then. Important things persist -
Louise continues to learn, develop new skills and share a delightful fresh view of the world where the smallest things can give enormous pleasure.
I can tell that you will continue to treasure the joys and blessings that Errol brings to your family. Louise taught me to celebrate every achievement and each step on the way to a milestone.
I hope today is another happy one.
Kia ora
Joy