Errol Milner Clifford 2006-2009

Errol Milner Clifford was born with a significant heart defect and a cognitive disability that prevented him from walking or talking. As we grieved the child we had anticipated, Errol’s full-bodied smile and irrepressible laugh turned our sorrow into joy, and taught us that many of the best things in life are unexpected. Inspired by Errol’s delightful spirit, friends, family, and neighbors rallied to support our family’s significant emotional, physical, and financial needs, through countless acts of selfless generosity. When Errol’s courageous heart finally failed him on December 23, 2009 we were left numb with grief. In these dark hours we listen hopefully for the echoes of Errol’s brilliant laugh. This blog is the story (starting from present and working back to Errol's birth) of the life and times of the amazing Errol Clifford.


Thursday, July 05, 2007

Patient Patience


We went to see one of Errol's many doctors yesterday. He's got more docs than Sudan has (sadly, this is not much of an exaggeration – and with my travels oversees and work for social justice, an idea I’d like to explore in later posts). Errol sees a pediatric cardiologist, immunologist, plastic surgeon, podiatrist, cardio-thoracic surgeon, nephrologists, surgeon, pediatrician, ophthalmologist, dingologist (I made that one up), development pediatrician, did I mention his therapists (I’ll save that for later) and that’s just the ones on the top of my head. A fleet of exquisitely trained professionals. Yesterday he saw Dr. Christiaanse (she’s really great), who gave him an exam that lasted over one hour (think back to the last time you spent that much time with your adult doctor-keep thinking). I’ve had some amazing doctors (Dr. Lisa Evans saved my life and without her we would have zero children: whoot whoot!), but generally, there is something very special and different about these wonderful pediatric doctors, and we send out our thanks to the universe every day for the amazing people that have kept our little beautiful boy alive and happy. I asked Dr. Christiaanse the question I always promise myself I won’t ask: “So is he going to walk?” And like any good doctor, she declined to answer my questions. I don’t blame her, I’d do the same thing (not that anyone’s asking me), but she did say this. “You’ve got lots of time.” And she’s right (if there’s one thing Errol has taught us, it’s to slow the hell down.) The doctor said that as a rule of thumb, if they sit by four they will walk. I asked her if she thought it would help if Errol quit smoking. She thought I was kidding. So Errol has a while, and he’s only 15 months old, he’s holding his head up, he’s a hard worker (you should see how proud he is of his accomplishments), and he’s down to a pack a day. So we will be patient, but oh how we hope our boy will walk (and dance) one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jonathan,

About that smoking. Tell Errol there's a great drug for that now. Helps you quit. Wish I'd had it back when.

Oh, man, we are pulling for your little guy to sit up, and to walk, too.

I remember so well Natalya's pediatric surgeon, as well as the team of doctors she had - not as many as Errol, but I think there were 6 or 7 at the beginning. They were for the most part wonderful. Boy, did it take a long time for things to work out - and no one gave us assurances either. You want it, yet it's not there. It's so hard, but as you say the key is being in the moment.

Do you all ever go on dates? Ever leave Errol with family or nurses?

Did the Katie Beckett Medicaid ever work out for ya'll?

love to all,
Marigene